Wednesday, May 18, 2005

coffeeshopmania

I tried quitting coffee. Oh yes, I did. It made me more tired (ironic, I know, still haven't figured that one out). It made me very hungry and whenever I was stranded without food my blood sugar (and mood) dropped precipitously.

I tried giving up the dark demon. The delicious, enticing smell. The warm, bitter taste (no sugar, of course). The habit of carrying a drink, a warm distraction, to class with me every morning. To my desk every night.

But these attractive qualities could not compare to that sidekick, the Ethel to the Lucy, the uh... bald guy to David Letterman (okay...still working on the similie thing) the Coffee Shop.

Coffee shops are my haven. I have trouble working anywhere else. The library is too damn quiet, unless it's 2 in the morning and every coffee shop is closed. But the coffee shop, in all its incarnations, never disappoints.

I love my locals, Coffeetopia and Lulu Carpenters, the indie coffeshops, with free wireless internet and alternative individuals sipping espressos. I love the playlists, which vary from weird experimental shit I've never heard, to the barista's sentimental mix from high school (which happens to coincide with my high school years, making me all the more inspired to crank out that paper).

I love my Border's, where the cafe is like a balcony. I love to look down at a million colorful books, contemplating the incredible literary endeavor that is the modern chain bookstore. Not to mention spying on people as they weave about, picking up various titles.

I even love my Starbucks, because I feel satisfied knowing they give health insurance to all of their employees who work even part time. That and they have excellent coffee and the New York Times.

So I tried quitting coffee, I honestly did, but damned if you can't keep a girl out of a great coffeeshop.

1 Comments:

At 5/21/2005 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or, to put it another way, you can take the coffee out opf the girl, but you can't take the girl out of the coffee shop...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home