Saturday, June 11, 2005

Blogging, Kansas style

I come to you from Kansas in this edition of epiphanies: midwestern style

I'm off to a debutante ball tonight, and since my hair's been done for 3 hours and I don't leave for another two, I'm limited on moving around too much.

Ezra likes to make fun of me when I go home because I get a "Kate at home syndrome"; basically I get bored, tired, and my brain turns to mush. So, in order to stave off this malady, I made myself get on our old-ass unstable PC and start exercising my mind.

I just want to mention a couple things:

First, Gilead by Marilynne Robinson is fantastic so far. Her meditative prose is wonderful and comforting; you feel you've been transported inside the narrator's mind, viewing his descriptions as if watching homemade movies.

Second, this article on dental problems associated with methamphetamine use is fascinating and disgusting. The more I read about meth, the more I'm convinced we've got a huge problem on our hands with this drug. Seriously read it, and in the off-chance you were considering trying it, this will definitely make you think again.

Last, this post by Sue is hilarious. I've had a lot of trouble lately getting obnoxious men to leave me alone. I tend to be a nice, approachable person, and open for conversation, but too many gross men have taken advantage of that. I hate being rude and avoiding eye contact with people, but at a certain point, if you want to retain any privacy or peace when you go out, especially to a bar or coffeeshop, you just have to learn to be a bitch. And even then, as Sue has obviously found, some still won't listen. It's terribly obnoxious boys, so unless a girl keeps looking your direction, save her some trouble. And if any girls have advice on keeping weirdos at bay, let me know. I have a feeling that the general weirdness of Santa Cruz doesn't help the situation. Hopefully it will be better elsewhere.

As for me, soon I will be off to the debutante ball, that lovely tradition where daughters are presented to society (originally for the purpose of marriageability). Now it's just some luxe bash. I'm not the debutante, btw, it's my sister, I'll be the one drinking gin and tonics, trying to find someone unpretentious entertain me for the night.

2 Comments:

At 6/15/2005 12:06 PM, Anonymous brea said...

hey kate, if you are still in kansas you should give me a call. 913.486.0390. brea*

 
At 6/15/2005 1:17 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Congrads grad. I'm up north so I won't be seeing you for a while. Anyways, you're worried about meth as a major problem? You have a fucking right to be. I am drowning in felony cases surrounding meth in the public defender's office of Sonoma County –did I tell you I am interning there? It has devastated the Mexican-American population across California, and the United States criminal system treats it like its fucking homicide. Anyways, cheers to sunnier days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home