Sunday, June 26, 2005

Sick blogging

I know I'm way over-due here, but as I've been doing whirlwind tours of Kansas and California this little blog has laid on the back burner. Unfortunately those whirlwind tours left me with a nasty cold, which I'm sure I picked up at Universal Studios (goddamn children! Breeding grounds for disease! Goddamn tourist paragon Universal Studios!) I'm blogging from my sick bed, which happens to be a nice bed settled in the middle of nice Westwood, with a nice boyfriend who makes me nice dinner. It really ain't half bad being sick here. As I've no super enlightening thoughts for today, I thought I'd point you folks to the stuff I've been entertaining myself with from said sick bed:

-- This great Slate article about all those crazy internet sites that get endlessly forwarded by those bored at work. Read it if you're like me, a lucky young person unchained to an office (as of yet) and hence without said bored forwarding network. I was particularly enthralled by/scared of the Pixie Land guy.

-- Heartbreaking, but fascinating WaPo piece on a 675 pound man. Good ol' human interest stuff.

-- I also, though I'm unsure how, got a spark to edumacate myself about Sid Vicious from Wikipedia (aka the best new internet toy ever.) I was one of those people who had a lot of punk/alternative type friends, the kind who actually knew the history of punk music (I hate to admit I'm still ignorant), who enjoyed sipping coffee and smoking cigarettes while discussing the complexities of [insert punk band here]'s lyrics or [insert punk singer here]'s representation of self through clothing, etc. Anyways, go read about Sid if you are ignorant like me, it's a helluva story.

That ends this sick blogging session, but stay tuned for my thoughts on Batman Begins.

3 Comments:

At 6/27/2005 6:28 AM, Anonymous Haggai said...

As mentioned in the Wikipedia page, there was a pretty good movie about Sid Vicious that was made about 20 years ago, called Sid and Nancy. It was one of the first notable movie roles for Gary Oldman, as Sid, and he was fantastic, long before he appeared in Batman Begins without being recognized by Ezra. :)

 
At 6/27/2005 10:23 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Yeah, I actually got the spark to look up Sid from Kevin Drum's mention of Gary Oldman in Sid and Nancy. I'll have to rent it.

And I must admit my ignorance as to Oldman's identity as well. To be sure, I recognized him, but when it came to naming him, I'd no clue. He's one of those actors that you know you've seen all over but can't quite place. My personal favorite incarnation is Zorg in the Fifth Element. Good stuff.

 
At 6/27/2005 11:24 AM, Anonymous Haggai said...

That's the best thing about Oldman. He's so versatile, and he disappears into his characters so completely, that you can barely recognize him from one movie to the next. And he almost never uses his real voice in a movie, largely because he doesn't usually play British people (which he is). I've heard him in interviews, and I think the closest I've ever come to hearing his normal voice in a movie role was in the silly (but fun) version of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home