Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Get off my NYT!

Has anyone else noticed the increasingly pop image of the New York Times online? For God's sake, they have an ad titled "Where can you find Tom, Angelina, & Nicole this summer?", including papparazi-like photos. Another ad implores you to "Hit the Beach!" apparently by "Check[ing] out these dream homes in the Hamptons".

What irritates me so much about these ads is that they are ads for other sections within the NYT. The celebrity love fest is for NYT Movies, and the barbie's dream house page is for NYT real estate. I checked out these dream homes in the Hamptons, btw, and the first house is priced at $50 million. $50 fucking million!

So, what's up NYT? Are you trying to cater to my So-Cal audience? Wanting to dumb down some of your content, or at least try to appeal to the masses? I love reading your news and analysis, but the ads are not cool. I feel like I'm reading a cousin to US Weekly.

1 Comments:

At 7/06/2005 7:47 PM, Blogger Matt said...

That kind of stuff is as bad as when I read that the Washington Post would be using more graphics and running shorter stories, in an attempt to steal back readers who had migrated to cable news. Apparently USA Today is the gold standard of journalistic excellence these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home