Thursday, August 18, 2005

I'm back!

Please read that title with the appropriate James Brown impression in mind.

Well, after an over-extended absence (I haven't been so great about those vacations, huh?), I've returned to my humble iamstellaness abode. I feel amply prepared. And I know you all have been waiting at the edge of your keyboards for my return. If you're nice enough, I just might stay this time.

So a few things.

First, a wave of "must find new songs-- now!" has pulled me under, and I've gone i-tunes crazy tonight. I can't begin to express my contented joy sitting on my comfy bed, with my beautiful i-book, my super librarian glasses, and a great collection of stupendous emotion-provoking music pouring into my ears. Do you ever get those moments? Where you've found a beautiful new song, and you feel drunk? (Really? Or are you looking at me right now with that I-have-no-clue-what-you're-talking-about-it's-just-music face?)

So, said songs?

1. Glass, Concrete and Stone by David Byrne
(I had to include a lyric snippet)
"Everything's possible
when you're an animal
not inconceivable
How things can change, I know

So I'm puttin' on aftershave
nothin' is out of place
gonna be on my way
Try to pretend, it's not only

Glass and concrete and stone
That it's just a house, not a home.
And its glass and concrete and stone"

2. En Tus Pupilas -- Shakira (did any of you catch that girl crush article from the NYT last week? I have a serious case of that con Sra. Shakira)

3. Photobooth -- Death Cab for Cutie

4. One -- Cowboy Junkies (I'm also perpetually in love with Sweet Jane)

5. We both go down together -- The Decembrists

6. Zebra- John Butler Trio

In light of the list, it's important you don't get a false impression. I am not an audiophile. By any means. My favorites bands have pretty much been the same for 8 years (which I imagine reflects badly on me). Audiophiles irritate me. Your music is not better than my music! I love my music just fine thankyouverymuch. I just want to share some flashes of inspiration in case anyone was interested. That's all.

Second, and now I know you are getting the wrong impression of me -- I'm starting the South Beach Diet tomorrow.

Okay, before you go all postal, I have real bonafide reasons for doing this besides any coincidental cosmetic benefits.

Oh man, I almost convinced myself there!

Actually I'm not lying. In the past year I've been unbelievably hungry. I eat a completely normal amount of food for someone my size and I'm always starving within 45 minutes. It's honestly like I didn't even eat. This is also an incredibly annoying problem because my appetite is pretty much insatiable. I don't eat ginormous meals every 45 minutes (although I would like to!) so I just end up spending a majority of the day starving.

So, Kate, exactly what does this have to do with the South Beach Diet?

Well, dear reader, I'm so glad you asked! Apparently what happens to me is a consequence of eating too many foods with high glycemic indexes (I love me my carbs)! These pesky high glycemic index foods are creating all these drops in my insulin levels! If I stop eating ALL carbs for 2 weeks -- yes 14 days-- then eat a lot more whole wheat products, I won't be so hungry!

Hey, it's worth a try. And I'll keep you all posted throughout my torture experiment. I hope it works, otherwise I'm off to the endocrinologist. I'd prefer to try changing my eating before I going on any meds.

So, enough about me, how are you?

1 Comments:

At 8/19/2005 7:18 AM, Blogger susan said...

Glad to see you back, Kate. You've usually got an interesting take on stories that don't normally even blip on my radar screen (insert other crappy metaphor here). ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home