Tuesday, September 13, 2005

At least people care

I must say it's been heartening to see different community and business responses to Katrina. I just have two small examples, but I think they're representative of the American spirit, and offer some hope and sense of good during such confusing and dark times.

I want to preface that these examples are from Kansas City, not LA. I haven't seen the same happening in LA but I'm sure it's there.

First, the homey little coffeeshop up the street has a sign saying "Thank you for helping us raise $1,300 for the Red Cross". Considering I'm the only customer in here, and this place seems pretty slow in general, that's no small accomplishment.

Moreso are the small homages that people all over the country are paying to the city of New Orleans. At my mom's tiny mysteries-only bookstore, they've made a display with all authors who are from NO or books that take place there. I don't know if they're donating money, but people are trying, in whatever small way they can, to say "We care, and we're thinking about it." And these acts, while insignificant on their individual level, become more than the sum of their parts. They represent care, care taken to honor those who have lost everything, including their lives, and become little altars to make others take a moment and think as well. I'm thankful for that.

1 Comments:

At 9/20/2012 3:06 AM, Anonymous Hester said...

I saw really much useful information above!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home